Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Full Sample of Classes

So after a week without labs, I've finally been to every class I signed up for this semester.  This is also the first time that I feel I have a context for how long the semester is going to last.  I mean the semester is always around 3 months long, but this is the first time that the long term has been more in focus than the week to week way I've handled past semesters.  I think part of the reason I've been treating things this way is because I don't have any math classes or truly heavy midterms to worry over.

I finally have a Geochemistry book for class tomorrow, which is nice.  I still can't fathom how a paperback textbook of its size costs over $130, but that's another issue from what I'd care to discuss.  After asking at the desk for online textbook orders if the Geochemistry books were in, I was informed my order was canceled and the books weren't there.  After checking my e-mail however, I discovered that not only were the books in, but they were ready to be collected.  Needless to say I've lost nearly all respect for the bookstore here. Where I used to excuse their inconsistencies and poor service with the transitional stage of the Barnes & Noble buyout, I now think the staff is just generally inept.

Tomorrow brings another session of LIBS work and this time I will actually try to collect some usable data!  I wish I had some keys to actually get into the labs, but I guess my requests for keys helps the department gauge my progress and commitment.  Let's go with that...

In more long range news, I've signed up for a poster topic to accompany me on the end of the semester Colorado Plateau field trip.  During the eight days of geologic goodness in the trip I will be giving a brief presentation on the Late Cretaceous (Andean mountains and an inland sea).




I'm not entirely sure what I have committed myself to, but I do know that my poster will not cover the Laramide orogeny and doesn't encompass the K-T boundary (some other lucky peer will have that famous sliver of time).  This class is already the most intimidating and instructive course I have taken in college, but I know I will gain immeasurably from it.  My only qualm with it is that it is only scheduled once a week!

Basic synopsis is that context has been established for my current semester, time will be flying by, courses are heavy but lightened by their fascinating content, and I have a considerable amount of learning ahead of me.  Still living one day at a time though, and tomorrow is Geochem and a session with the LIBS lab...

Photo Credit
USGS. "Waterpocket Fold - Looking south from the Strike Valley Overlook".  http://3dparks.wr.usgs.gov

No comments:

Post a Comment