Monday, February 22, 2010

The month of waiting around...

Well it has been quite a while since I've written here, but I have excuses!  Mostly I was waiting for my professor to put up an image from a slide he had in class so I could talk about the salt and potash deposits in the Paradox Basin.  My Colorado Plateau class had a great discussion on the Pennsylvanian salt deposits in that famous basin system, and I really wanted to have the stratigraphic representation of well logs he put up before I began talking about anything relating to the basin.

I've also been waiting for insurance people to settle the totaling of my '99 Chevy Lumina, which was hit by a drunk driver on Superbowl Sunday (February 7th).  It was a long and anxiety inducing process, but I finally had it towed away sometime today while I was at school and we settled on the money it was worth last Friday.


Now I have been looking at vehicles, mostly jeeps and small four wheel drive capable cars, so that I can get for around the compensation money the totaling gave us.  This has left me spending a lot of time researching potential replacement vehicles and biking to and from classes at the university.  The half mile ride isn't too long or cold to need a vehicle, but the entire campus is placed on a hill and it seems all the more steep for my lack of motorized transport.

These things aside, my life has been pretty ideal.  I have done very well on my first round of exams, especially in Geochemistry, Entomology, and regular Chem. The weather here in Las Cruces just keeps improving, with temperatures almost reaching short-weather highs.  Almost.

The main academic concern I have right now is with my LIBS oil research.  I have seven oils analyzed with at least 140 samplings for each.  Enough, I feel, to begin using the analytical software my adviser has to examine what our LIBS data can be used to investigate.  At the moment the primary concern is still looking at reservoir rock traces in the oils to show how LIBS analysis could be used as a first notification of changing conditions in oil samples.   If the LIBS data will be useful for those ends will be interesting to see.  The technology has always been introduced to me as "quick and dirty" and I have had enough oil on my hands to believe it.

No comments:

Post a Comment